How can I find more information about the 1098-T/Tax Documents?

Office of the Registrar, Office of the Bursar, and Financial Aid

Hawk Central Online

How can I find more information about the 1098-T/Tax Documents?

Tax Information / 1098-T

How to Access Your 1098T on The Nest

Enter username and password if you have forgotten your password click on the "Forgot/Reset Password" link under the LOGIN button and follow the instructions

Once you have successfully logged onto The Nest :

  1. Go to the Tuition & Aid Page
  2. Under the Payment Options and Information section
    1. Select Access your 1098-t Form
      • Enter the tax year

All 1098-T's should have your correct Permanent address.  If the form that you see is not correct please take the necessary steps to correct your address on file by following these instructions:


You may complete the pdf Change of Information and submit it to Hawk Central. You may submit the consent form and documentation via:

  • Fax: 610-660-1019
  • Email: Send from your SJU email account to with the form attached
  • In Person: Drop off the form to Hawk Central in Barbelin 121


Understanding Your 1098-T Questions

This information is not intended as legal or tax advice. Individuals should obtain IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Higher Education," at, or contact a tax practitioner about income tax situations.

IRS Form 1098-T, is entitled "Tuition Payment Statement," and contains information to assist the IRS and you in determining if you are eligible to claim educational related tax credits such as the HOPE Scholarship Tax Credit and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

The Tax Relief Act of 1997 states that educational institutions, such as Saint Joseph's University, are required to file informational returns with the IRS indicating a student's enrollment and payments received. The form is an informational return for your personal records and is not required to be submitted with your tax return.

How do I receive a copy of Form 1098-T?
Saint Joseph's University will post your 1098-T electronically each year by January 31st. This form can be obtained by logging into your Nest account and following the instructions at the bottom of the 1098-T resource page (please hit the back button on your browser to return to this page). If you no longer have an active Nest account then you will need to contact the Bursar's Office and request the form via Please note that the Bursar's office will only provide 1098-Ts to individuals without active Nest accounts. The Bursar's office will not release 1098-T forms to parents of students - parents will need to have their student log into their Nest account.

What amounts are included in Box 2 “Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses?
The university is required by the IRS to either fill in the payments received (Box 1) or the amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2). SJU has chosen to fill in Box 2). This includes both in-state tuition and out of state tuition.
Qualified fees include: General Service fees, academic facilities fees, student union fees, special course fees, technology fees, off campus workshop fees, continuing education fees and admission application fees.
Unqualified fees include: University housing, meal plans, books, health insurance, late fees, parking permit charges, fines and finance charges.

Since I received Form 1098-T from the university, am I qualified for one of the educational tax credits?
Not necessarily. Determination of eligibility is the responsibility of the taxpayer. The university is required to file Form 1098-T with the IRS and make them available to each student who was billed for qualified tuition and related expenses.

How do I determine if I am eligible for an educational tax credit?
You or your parents may be eligible for the educational tax credits on your tax return. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 created two educational tax credits for students and families, the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.
For a more detailed description you can read IRS Publication 970 which can be found on the IRS web site at The URL for Pub. 970 is

Can I claim both educational tax credits this year?
No, you can only elect one of the credits for any given tax year. If you elect to take the Lifetime Learning credit, you cannot also claim the Hope Scholarship credit. A parent with more than one child in an eligible educational institution may choose to take credits on a per-student, per year basis. For example, a parent can claim the Hope credit for one student and the Lifetime Learning credit for another student in the same year. IRS Form 8863 is used to calculate educational tax credits and can be found at

Additional Information:
More detailed information is also available at the following web sites:

Rating:Rating of 1.5 Stars3 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 16125-22
  • Date Created: 06/26/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 01/08/2018
  • Viewed: 4119
Help Desk and Customer Support Software by Parature