You CAN use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- You filed a federal tax return
- You have a valid Social Security Number
- You have a Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) PIN
- Your marital status has not changed since December 31.
You CANNOT use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- You filed an amended federal tax return for 2013
- You did not file a federal tax return for 2013
- Your 2013 federal tax return filing status is “married filing separately”
- Your 2013 federal tax return filing status is “head of household”
Tax Return Transcript Exceptions
A tax filer will be unable to obtain an IRS tax transcript if he or she:
- Has been determined by the IRS to be a victim of identity theft;
- Filed a tax return with Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, and the Federated States of Micronesia; or
- Filed a tax return in a foreign country.